North Orbit Kite 2021
NORTH ORBIT 2021 - BIG AIR / FREERIDE
King of the Big Air Kites...
Committing to overpowered airs and megaloops in gusty conditions demands an unwavering trust in your kite. Our iconic premier 5-strut kite, delivers incredible top-end control and allows you to hold down more power than any other kite per square metre. Big jumps. Big hang time. Big wind range. This kite was designed to rocket you upwind fast, with effortless steering, extreme boosting and hangtime guaranteed to take your breath away. Tested by nature, proven on the podium.
The Orbit has your back when the rules of gravity don’t apply. For 2021 we’ve modified the bridle for a more playful feel, and further improved the stability, while maintaining the kite’s high-end performance and kiteloop recovery. We’ve also strategically replaced the heavy dacron with lighter weight reinforcement material, so the kite feels even lighter and more responsive.
- RED BULL KING OF THE AIR WINNER - Tested by nature and proven on the podium. 2020 Red Bull King of the Air Jesse Richman’s winning kite
- PHENOMENAL LOFT AND HANGTIME - The Orbit has a wide flattened 2-stage arc supported by a reinforced exo-skeleton frame, ensuring glide that is guaranteed to take your breath away. The Orbit makes the most use of its projected area, so it has the best hangtime and power delivery for its size.
PREDICTABLE IN THE UNPREDICTABLE - A high-performance Big Air kite that is stable and consistent in a wide range of conditions, especially in the high end. The Orbit’s ability to fly forward and catch you in kiteloops allows you to ride the kite overpowered without it getting away from you. But at the same time, it’s like a race horse - it wants to go.
So you need to keep your eye on it. Note: the same characteristics that enable kiteloop recovery can make the kite front-stall sensitive, we recommend active rear-line tension for greater stability.
- POWERFUL AND EFFICIENT 2-STAGE ARC DESIGN - Our two-stage arc design incorporates a flattened, more open arc shape through the central power-producing region of the kite, where the energy is most useful for you performance-wise. This gives you the highest amount of projected area and projected aspect ratio, meaning the Orbit has the best hangtime and power delivery for its size. Pulling the wingtips in towards the rider gives the kite more responsive steering and the smoothest transition of the profile attack angles when it's under load.
- STABLE 5-STRUT PERFORMANCE - When you’re chasing a storm the Orbit provides incredible top-end control. The five strut design gives it an incredible amount of stability and wind range, and you have a lot more control over the canopy movement at low attack angles. The Orbit has the widest wind range of all our kites. The fixed, no-pulley bridle is a little bit longer, and combined with its placement on the kite gives us a very stable platform in all conditions.
- NEW LIGHTER WEIGHT CONSTRUCTION - In 2021 we’ve replaced the heavier dacron on the trailing edge and at the very leading edge with a NEW lighter weight strategic canopy reinforcement. This adds strength and elongation control, protecting the lighter inner main canopy body and producing a durable kite that can hold its profile for increased performance and lift. Because the new fabric is more conforming to the inflated structure, it also helps creates a smoother, cleaner entry on the profiles.
- NEW MODIFIED BRIDLING AND LIGHT BAR PRESSURE - In 2021 we’ve modified the bridle for controlled response and even faster steering, giving the kite a more playful feel with increased depower. Chief Kite Designer Pat Goodman worked closely with team riders, in particular Marc Jacobs, to put the kite through hardcore testing in a lot of wind. This enabled us to further improve the stability, the feedback and the steering behaviour, and to give the kite a lighter, more responsive feel.
- NEW LOW-DRAG, NO-PULLEY BRIDLE LINES - The NEW bridling provides an extremely direct feel in both bar pressure and steering initiation, with more intuitive feedback from the bar in both directions so you'll always know where your kite is. The new bridling enables more responsive steering and pivoty turns, limiting the amount of power that is produced so you generate less speed in your bottom turns, and can ride closer to the pocket of the wave. Our NEW high quality spliced, pre-stretched bridle lines are pre-loaded and measured before cutting to improve accuracy and consistency. This results in reduced shrinkage, reduced elongation and improved longevity. Removing ALL pulleys from the bridle improves safety and gives the kite direct and precise handling. The end result is lower drag, more accuracy and a more direct feeling.
- REDUCED LEADING-EDGE DIAMETER WITH SWEEP - Gives the Orbit a low drag profile, making it sit further forwards in the wind window for incredible upwind performance. The high aspect ratio swept design allows more area in the centre of the kite for efficiency and easy roll to relaunch.
- PERSONALISED PERFORMANCE TUNING OPTIONS - Bar pressure and steering impulse can be adjusted on the wing tip, allowing you to fine tune the kite's characteristics to your personal preference.
- PREMIUM TEIJIN D2 TECHNO FORCE CANOPY - D2 Ripstop Fabric by Teijin. Premium high-density canopy material made in Japan, using high tenacity polyester yarn for lightness, high tearing strength and endurance. Teijin Techno Force has the highest strength to weight ratio and longest durability in the industry.
- KEVLAR REINFORCED STRUT SYSTEM WITH BRIDLE DEFLECTORS - For the most accurate and durable connection between the strut and the leading edge. Bridle deflectors on the leading edge prevent the control lines catching on the struts.
- AERODYNAMIC PROFILE TRANSITION PANELS - We've added an extra panel that connects to the leading edge seam to ensure a precise lateral profile shape is maintained as close to the leading edge as possible, creating a smooth transition from the segmented leading edge to the curved canopy so the profiles are more uniform throughout the entire wing. The panels reduce inconsistencies in the profile, resulting in a smoother, more efficient kite, with more aerodynamic airflow and less turbulence.
- HYPERFLOW RAPID SINGLE-POINT INFLATION - High volume single point inflation system with larger diameter hose for rapid inflation and deflation. Bayonet style main inflation valve compatible with most pumps. No adapter needed.
- DURALITE SEAM PROTECTION - Lightweight reinforcement to protect from chafing and abrasion along the struts to the leading edge. Thin foam padding is inserted underneath to form a lightweight durable buffer which lifts the kite slightly off rough surfaces, and protects the stitching along the struts and leading edge seams.
- THINNER DIAMETER STRUTS - The Orbit’s five struts are surprisingly slender when inflated, helping to keep the weight of the kite down while providing canopy stability.